It is important for children to learn at an early age the necessity of properly taking care of their feet. A daily routine may consist of washing them thoroughly, especially between the toes, followed by completely drying the feet. Shoes may last longer when they are aired out after wearing them, and it can help to wash sneakers often, which can keep them soft. The medical condition that is known as athlete’s foot is generally accompanied by symptoms that can include itchy skin and small blisters. This condition can cause pain and discomfort, and may be common among children. It is considered to be contagious, and parents can teach their children to wear appropriate shoes while in public pools and surrounding areas, where fungus is more commonly spread. If you would like additional information about the importance of maintaining your child’s foot health, it is suggested that you consult with a podiatrist.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact one of our podiatrists of Northern Illinois Foot & Ankle Specialists. Our doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Lake in the Hills, Cary, Fox Lake, Crystal Lake, Hoffman Estates, Chicago, Elgin, and Hinsdale, IL . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.